Monday, June 12, 2006

 

World Cup, anyone?

Is anybody else cracked out on the World Cup??

In 2002, I watched a couple of matches, mainly because my then boss was a big fan and I could either watch a match or do work. However, since I no longer work at that company, my soccer watching has dissipated. Two weeks ago, I didn't care at all about soccer. However I was experiencing some major sport withdrawal. I am a Cubs fan, and frankly there hasn't been much to watch in regards to that and the NBA playoffs are more drawn out this year than the Dallas episode of "Who Shot J.R.?"

So when a friendly office pool for the World Cup came along, I dutifully filled it out, not really caring where I placed. That all changed this past Thursday. In my ignorance, I had made good picks! I was that annoying girl who wins the NCAA pool only this was the World Cup. I called the Sweden v. Trinidad-Tobago tie AND the Australian upset. The same people who were chuckling at my upstart picks are now poring over my entries before calling their respective bookies.

Of course what goes up must go down. I lost 2 out of 3 matches today. I better not show up at my favorite watering hole, I got a feeling people may be looking for me...and not to give me a pat on the back.

Comments:
I have never been into soccer, but everyone at work was going down to the bar at lunchtime to catch the games...of course all of them were getting up in the morning to watch the earlier game, too. I turned on the game one morning, just because I was up and since then i have been watching soccer, and going into work late every morning. I personally was rooting for Ghana, followed by Spain..because they are the cuter team...all those Latin men rein supreme in the looks...Beckham is a real pretty boy, too. So, are you going to catch the final games this weekend?Woo
 
I will catch some of the final game on Sunday but I have to work from 12 pm - 5 pm so that will take away from celebrating if France wins. Hey, I gotta cheer for them, they took out my champ pick Brazil.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?